BUKIT MERTAJAM: One in every 10 residents has tested positive for Covid-19 so far in Taman Nagasari, which is under the enhanced movement control order.
Out of 2,722 residents there, 273 have so far tested positive as at 10.45am yesterday.
Over 90% of the population in this neighbourhood are foreigners, working in the nearby factories.
Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Shafee Samad said two Covid-19 deaths had been recorded there so far, a 46-year-old local and a 35-year-old Filipino.
“There are 2,511 foreign and 211 local residents in this 0.17sq km neighbourhood with three blocks of 10-storey flats comprising 504 units and 330 terrace houses.
“About half of those tested positive were sent to quarantine centres.
“There are two entry points into the neighbourhood but only one will be allowed for delivery drop-offs,” he said yesterday.
A check by The Star yesterday showed that there was none of the usual weekend bustle, with hardly anyone spotted on the streets within the zone.
Some of the local residents earlier claimed to have seen many foreign workers leaving the neighbourhood after the enhanced MCO was announced on Friday evening.
ACP Shafee said they would collaborate with Seberang Prai City Council, which has records of residents, to track anyone found missing.
Bukit Tengah assemblyman Gooi Hsiao Leung said Taman Nagasari was affected by three factory clusters.
Every resident will be screened.
The neighbourhood is under the enhanced MCO from yesterday until July 17.
“Health authorities will compile the residents details for tracing and distribution of aid if needed,” he said.
On the many illegal sundry shops operating from homes there, Gooi said they would temporarily be allowed to remain open.
He said those in need of assistance could contact his office at 011-2418 4964.