GEORGE TOWN: Residents in the Teluk Bahang area here are looking forward to the relocation of a roadblock to enforce movement control order standard operating procedures (SOPs) in the area.
Balik Pulau Umno chief Datuk Shah Headan Ayoob Shah said he had proposed that the state government and police relocate the roadblock at Ferringhi Villa, Jalan Batu Ferringhi, to a more suitable spot to enable residents in Teluk Bahang and Batu Ferringhi to better access facilities.
“The initial roadblock, which was set up at the border of the northeast and southwest districts, had caused inconvenience to people staying in both areas.
“There are more than 10,000 residents in the Teluk Bahang area and it is difficult for them to get basic facilities such as automated teller machines and petrol stations or even pay their utility bills.
“Folks in Teluk Bahang have to travel between 17km to 20km to go to Balik Pulau, which is in the southwest district, via a hilly road to access these facilities,” he said in a phone interview on Thursday (June 24).
Shah Headan said Balik Pulau Umno Youth had submitted a memorandum to the Penang police chief through the Batu Ferringhi police station regarding the movement problems of residents in Teluk Bahang and Batu Ferringhi during the lockdown.
“After I received explanations and answers from the police and Balik Pulau Umno youth representatives, I had a meeting with Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow, who is the Penang National Security Council chairman.
“Chow stated that he has no problem moving the roadblocks to a more strategic area in front of Rasa Sayang Hotel to enable residents in Teluk Bahang and Batu Ferringhi area to move about.
“The police have also previously welcomed the proposals and stated their readiness to do so.
“I will follow the development of this issue from time to time so that immediate action can be taken,” he said in a statement Thursday.