BUTTERWORTH: The police have remanded 11 men until Thursday (June 24) to help in the investigation of alleged breach of standard operating procedures (SOP) during a recent funeral procession here.
Assistant court registrar Nigel Jirin granted the four-day remand order under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code on Monday (June 21).
The investigation is being conducted under Section 43 of the Societies Act 1966, Section 269 of the Penal Code, Regulation 9 of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases 2021 and Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
On Sunday (June 20), the 11 men were arrested in connection with alleged violation of Covid-19 SOPs by a group involved in a funeral procession from Teluk Air Tawar to the crematorium in Jalan Siram here on Thursday (June 17).
Footage of the procession went viral on social media.
Police initiated a probe after receiving a report on the video clip.
The 51-second video showed a group of pallbearers as well as several others dancing in the procession.
North Seberang Prai Asst Comm Noorzainy Mohd Noor had said earlier that the men, aged 15 to 35, were detained at several locations around Butterworth and Mak Mandin between 6pm and 10pm on Sunday.
"We are still tracking down several other individuals believed to be involved.
"So far, we have recorded the statement of the funeral services company manager.
"According to him, he told the group they could not remove the casket from the hearse on the way to the crematorium but they were stubborn," he said.
He said there were 15 to 20 people in the procession, believed to be friends of a 23-year-old man who died of tuberculosis at the Seberang Jaya Hospital.