BUTTERWORTH: Police are investigating the Kedah Mentri Besar following claims he breached the standard operating procedure for test-driving a pick-up truck while in Penang.
Central Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Shafee Abd Samad said police had contacted those involved in the alleged incident.
“Everyone will be investigated, including the Mentri Besar, ” he said.
Police have classified the allegation under Section 269 of the Penal Code and Regulation 17 (1) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures in Local Infectious Areas) Regulations 202.
Social media was abuzz with photos of several people, including Mentri Besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor, purportedly involved in a test drive of a pick-up truck at a car showroom in Juru Auto City on Saturday.
Under the full lockdown, car showrooms are not allowed to operate.
Meanwhile, Muhammad Sanusi’s political secretary Afnan Hamimi Taib Azamudden said the Mentri Besar is ready to cooperate with the police in the investigation.
Afnan Hamimi, earlier in a Facebook post, denied Muhammad Sanusi had violated the SOP.
He said the Mentri Besar was on his way to Kuala Lumpur from Alor Setar and had stopped at a shop next to the showroom to buy food before entering the highway.
He said his boss was with his driver and a policeman when he decided to buy food there and it was a coincidence the showroom was next to it.
There happened to be a car salesman moving some of the display cars outside the showroom and Muhammad Sanusi had gone to take a look at the pick-up truck.
He said the salesman, being polite, entertained enquiries while shifting the showroom’s cars.
“No test drive took place, ” he added.