BATU PAHAT: The remaining seven suspects involved in the Pasir Raja riot here are being remanded for another two days to assist police investigations.
Batu Pahat OCPD Asst Comm Ismail Dollah said the remanded order for the seven of them, who were arrested with 13 others for allegedly putting up banners critical of the government, lighting flares and firecrackers in the early morning of the first day of Hari Raya (May 13), was extended until May 19 after it ended Monday (May 17).
He said the remand extension was needed for the seven suspects to aid further police investigations.
The application for the remand extension was approved by Batu Pahat Magistrate Mohd Syafik Mustaza, he added.
A total of 20 people were arrested at around 11pm on Thursday (May 13), in relation to the rally.
On Sunday (May 16), 13 of them were released on police bail.
It was reported that police were alerted by the public at 11.04am on Thursday (May 13) that a banner critical of the government was spotted on a bridge at Jalan Parit Raja heading to Ayer Hitam.
"However, when the police visited the location, we found that it had been taken down.
"Not long after that, police received a report about a video of a rally, lighting up of flares and raising of a banner which did not comply with the Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOP).
"Initial investigation found that the incident occurred in Parit Raja and it is believed that the banner raised during the rally is the same banner that was spotted on the bridge, ” ACP Ismail said.