PETALING JAYA: The enhanced movement control order (MCO) has been imposed in 28 localities in Kota Setar, Kedah from May 19 to June 1 following a spike in Covid-19 cases there.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said up until Sunday (May 16), there had been 975 active cases in Kota Setar, with six localities already marked as red zones.
“The Health Ministry has also confirmed that an outbreak of Covid-19 has spread around Kota Setar in eight days, with 799 cases recorded between May 8 and 16,” he said in a statement on Monday (May 17).
He said red zone areas like Mukim Kota Setar had 78 cases, while Mukim Mergong with 223 cases was the locality with the greatest number of cases in the area.
Other red zones include Mukim Pengkalan Kundor (143), Mukim Derga (138), Mukim Kangkong (55), and Mukim Anak Bukit (61).
He said after assessing the risks, the government decided to impose the enhanced MCO in 28 localities in Kota Setar for 14 days starting Wednesday (May 19).
The enhanced MCO will also be imposed from May 19 to June 1 in two villages in Kelantan – Kampung Pauh Lima in Mukim Gunong at Bachok, and Kampung Pauh Lima at Mukim Banggu in Kota Baru, following a spike in cases.
Ismail Sabri said the Health Ministry confirmed a 26.6% spike in infections in Bachok and a 55.2% spike in cases in Kota Baru.
Meanwhile, the government will extend the enhanced MCO in Taman Tanah Putih Baru, Kuantan for another week from May 19 to 25.
The enhanced MCO in Taman Tanah Putih Baru was supposed to end on Tuesday (May 18), but there were still a high number of positive cases recorded.
“The Health Ministry conducted 4,621 Covid-19 screenings and 326 of them came back positive,” he said.
The enhanced MCO will also be extended at Rumah Panjang Dingai, Sungai Amut Atas, Pakan in Sarikei, Sarawak until May 26 after 16 of 67 Covid-19 tests came back positive.
The enhanced MCO in the area was supposed to end on May 19.
Separately, Ismail Sabri said the enhanced MCO at Kampung Meripoh and Kota Bahagia in Muadzam Shah, Rompin, Pahang will end ahead of schedule on May 17.
“Health authorities confirmed reduction in cases after 16 of the 215 tests conducted came back positive, ” he said.
The enhanced MCO in the two areas in Rompin was supposed to end on May 23.
Ismail Sabri also said the situation in the areas is under control and all those who tested positive are receiving treatment.