KUANTAN: The Covid-19 situation in Pahang is worrying despite the numerous recommendations that have been issued, says Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail (pic).
He said the latest information from the Pahang State Disaster Management Committee showed that the pandemic in the state has not yet subsided, especially in Kuantan district.
"As of 5pm on May 14, out of 178 new cases reported in Pahang, 135 of them involved the Kuantan district, including the emergence of a new workplace cluster known as the Menara Jalan Putra cluster.
"The previous four days also showed a high number of new cases in Kuantan district compared to the whole of Pahang, namely 38 out of 77 cases on May 10,40 out of 85 cases on May 11,39 out of 63 cases on May 12, and 22 out of 56 cases on May 13," Wan Rosdy said in a statement on Friday (May 14).
In addition, he said there were already four localities or areas in the Kuantan district that had been subjected to an enhanced movement control order, including Taman Tanah Putih Baru, which was still enforced from May 5 to May 18.
Three other localities or areas that were under the same enhanced MCO, which had ended, were Indera Mahkota 2, Astaka Village and Galing, he said.
"This information is of great concern to me. This is despite the many suggestions I have issued, including the latest in a message in conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri, on the need for us to comply with all the advice and guidelines issued by the government.
"Therefore, I once again appeal to the people of Pahang, especially Kuantan residents, to ensure full compliance with the standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the National Security Council (NSC) and the Health Ministry.
"I am worried that if the current situation continues and if there is another increase, especially in the Kuantan district, the NSC may propose more stringent measures to curb it," said Wan Rosdy.