KOTA KINABALU: Three family members were injured during a fire that broke out at their house.
This was due to a gas leak when transferring petrol at the vicinity in Semporna on Monday (May 10).
Tawau Fire and Rescue team rushed to the scene following a distress call from the hardcore poor housing project (PPRT) unit in Kampung Hampalan, Pulau Bum Bum at 2.54pm.
A man and his teenage daughter sustained minor burns, while another sustained 50% burns on her body and legs.
Ninety percent of the house was damaged during the incident, said the Tawau Fire and Rescue Department in a statement on Tuesday (May 11).
"According to witnesses, the fire occurred around 10.50am and villagers had earlier put out the blaze using water sourced from their storage tanks and the well.
"Investigations learnt the activity of transferring petrol from a huge container to smaller ones resulted in gas being released inside the house.
"When the stove at the kitchen was turned on to cook, it triggered an explosion, and the petrol at the living room also caught fire," said the Tawau Fire and Rescue Department in a statement.
The transferring of oil into smaller containers to be sold was done at the living room located 10 feet away from the kitchen.