PETALING JAYA: Klang Valley dwellers were relieved to see relatively clear roads and less crowded public transport on the first day of the latest movement control order.
Besides the usual slow-moving traffic due to rush hour and roadblocks, no major delays were reported.
While inter-district travel is prohibited during the MCO period from yesterday to May 17 for Selangor and from today to May 20 for Kuala Lumpur, most economic sectors are allowed to operate.
This means people can travel to their workplaces but because roadblocks are in place during the MCO period, traffic jams are expected, as seen during the previous MCO.
Twitter user @iMz_N wrote: “Best thing about MCO, less traffic.”
“So (much) less traffic on MCO morning. That’s quite good. Let’s see at the mall after work, ” tweeted @muhdafq.
Public transport such as the MRT meanwhile saw a dip in ridership.
Mohd Fuad Mohd Noor, 38, who commutes using the MRT from the Mutiara Damansara station to Phileo Damansara station daily said the train was nearly empty.
“There were only three or four people per coach. Previously, it would be full, ” said Mohd Fuad, who works at a media company here.Selangor Traffic Investigation and Enforcement Department chief Supt Azman Sha’riat said traffic in the state was much smoother.
“We saw a stark reduction of vehicles on the road on the first day of the MCO, ” he said, adding that traffic policemen were on standby.
Meanwhile, Petaling Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Mohamad Fakhrudin Abdul Hamid said four existing roadblocks in the district would remain following the MCO imposed in six districts in Selangor.
The roadblocks are at the Sungai Buloh toll plaza, Kota Damansara toll plaza, Damansara toll plaza and Subang toll plaza.