SIBU: A nearby fire-break saved the Rumah Unau Emol longhouse in Ngemah, Kanowit, from being burned down.
The Thursday (May 6) night fire, however, left 32 occupants from nine doors homeless.
They reportedly lost everything in the 9.10pm fire at the longhouse, located in the Rascom Resettlement area on the outskirts of Kanowit.
Area community leader Penghulu Juni Masan, 64, said the fire-break saved 11 of the longhouse's 20 doors.
"It was lucky that the whole longhouse was not razed, thanks to the fire-break," he said on Friday (May 7).
"A resident was doing some cooking and might have forgotten about it, causing a fire to break out," he said.
He said the homeless victims are now putting up with relatives and friends nearby.
The bad weather and poor road conditions meant firemen from the Kanowit fire station only arrived on the scene, about 90 minutes from town under optimal conditions, on Friday morning.