KUCHING: The Marine Department will investigate the sinking of the Naga 7 drilling rig off Miri.
"An investigation team has been set up by the Sarawak region marine department to find out the cause of the incident," the department said in a statement on Wednesday (May 5).
The department confirmed receiving a report of the incident which occurred at about 2.45pm Monday (May 3), about 139 nautical miles from Miri.
The Naga 7 jack-up rig was carrying out pre-loading works when one of its legs was said to have punctured through the seabed, causing it to list.
The rig is owned by Velesto Energy Bhd and chartered by oil and gas company ConocoPhillips Sarawak Ltd.
The department also confirmed that all 101 crew members on board the rig were safely evacuated in two vessels before the rig sank in waters nearly 100m deep.
"A total of 85 crew members arrived safely at the Serimas jetty (in Miri) at 10pm Tuesday (May 4), and are undergoing the mandatory 14-day quarantine.
"The remaining 16 crew members arrived at the jetty at 10.35am this morning and have been registered to undergo quarantine in Miri," the department said.
It also said a notice to mariners had been issued about the incident, while the Sarawak region marine department was in the process of putting up a virtual buoy if necessary to ensure that the shipping community did not use the route for now.
"No injuries or oil spill have been reported as of now," the department added.