KUALA LUMPUR: Only two Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) officers are under police investigations for their alleged involvement in illegal activities linked to the Nicky Gang, says its Chief Commissioner Datuk Seri Azam Baki.
“As far as I know, only two officers are under police investigations and I leave it to them to carry out their investigations.
“I confirm that only these two officers are being investigated and no other officers are involved, ” he told reporters after launching a joint anti-corruption programme with the National Culture and Arts Department here on Tuesday (May 4).
He said that the two officers have not been suspended from their duties for now, adding that they will be suspended from duty if they are formally charged.
“We will wait for the police to submit their investigation papers to the Attorney General’s Chambers for a decision, ” he said.
On April 27, Johor police chief Comm Datuk Ayob Khan Mydin Pitchay confirmed that 12 enforcement officers from the police and the MACC were arrested over the Nicky Gang case. So far, 64 suspects have been arrested over their involvement with the gang.
Last month, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador revealed that fugitive businessman Nicky Liow Soon Hee had at least 34 law enforcement officers under his “payroll”.
The Pahang Palace also stripped Liow of the Darjah Kebesaran Darjah Sri Sultan Ahmad Shah Pahang (SSAP) which carries the Datuk Seri title with immediate effect.
On a separate matter, Azam said that MACC is monitoring government ministries to identify possible cartels or monopolies involved in obtaining government contracts.
“We are monitoring the other departments also as there is information that cartels and monopolies exist, ” he said.
He added the MACC is working closely with the Finance Ministry to look at government procurement processes.
On April 5, the MACC crippled a “project cartel” believed to involve government projects worth RM3.8bil with the arrest of seven individuals, including its mastermind.
It is believed that the cartel had monopolised a total of 345 tenders involving ministries and government agencies nationwide, where the projects are said to be worth RM3.8bil.
The head of the cartel is believed to have controlled 150 companies that were being used to submit tender bids to ministries and agencies.
The syndicate is said to have been operating since 2014.