MELAKA: Seven firemen here rushed to attend a distress call to rescue a teenager after a copper tap head was left lodged in the right side of a 14-year-old's abdomen.
Melaka Fire and Rescue Department public relations officer Soon We Kiang said Merlimau fire station senior operations officer Asst Supt Mohamad Faisal Fuad did not know how the household tap head could have punctured and remained lodged in the victim's stomach.
Soon said the freak incident occurred at about 8.45pm on Thursday (April 22).
He said the victim, who was at a religious school in Kampung Serkam Timur in Merlimau, had to endure pain for almost 20 minutes before rescuers managed to cut the tap from the pipe.
Soon said the rescue mission only took five minutes but the tap head was left lodged in the victim's stomach and he was rushed to the Melaka Hospital to have it removed surgically.
It is learnt that the victim, who is a student at the school, was playing with five of his friends when he had slipped and fallen from elevated ground onto a row of taps meant for ablution.