MELAKA: The Melaka government has suggested that the Jalan Hang Tuah mega Ramadan bazaar closes as it is no longer popular among locals.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Sulaiman Md Ali asked Melaka Historical City Council (MBMB) to offer the three traders stalls at the bazaar to be offered spaces at other sites.
The Jalan Hang Tuah site has a 100-stall capacity.
"I suggested that the organiser dismantle the tents before more losses are incurred.
"I will also ask MBMB to assist them (the organiser) in whatever way necessary," Sulaiman said on Tuesday (April 20).
The Chief Minister lamented that the once-popular bazaar had lost its lustre over the years.
Noting that it had been eclipsed by newer bazaars, Sulaiman said it was better if the organiser stopped trying to rent out the stalls.
On April 15, The Star reported that the Jalan Hang Tuah Ramadan bazaar was practically empty, with almost no takers.
MBMB mayor Datuk Zainal Abu said the council had cautioned the organiser to anticipate a tepid response based on the 2019 experience.
Zainal said the proximity of similar bazaars had driven away traders from Jalan Hang Tuah.
The mega Ramadan bazaar in Jalan Hang Tuah, which made its debut in 2013, was a carnival-like event attracting close to 10,000 people at its peak.
In 2019, many traders gradually began closing down their stalls halfway through the Ramadan month due to poor reception among the locals.
Last year, Ramadan bazaars were not permitted to operate in the state because of the movement control order put in place to stem the spread of Covid-19.