PETALING JAYA: Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has claimed that he did not know family members of former Bank Negara governor Tan Sri Zeti Akhtar Aziz were involved in the 1MDB scandal, according to a report.
Dr Mahathir was quoted by news portal Malaysiakini as saying that Zeti was appointed to be a member of the Council of Eminent Persons (CEP) based on her experience and performance as a central banker, adding that he was not aware of the 1MDB links when she was appointed to the CEP in 2018.
"I didn't know, I didn't know. But, Zeti performed very well as a banker. As a central banker, she is well-known worldwide. I appointed a very well-known person.
"I didn't know anything about her sons and all that. That is her matter.
"But, as a central banker, she is the best central banker that we have had for a long time," he was quoted by Malaysiakini in an interview on Wednesday (April 14).
Dr Mahathir was asked to comment if he was aware that 1MDB funds were allegedly transferred into an account owned by Zeti's husband Datuk Dr Tawfiq Ayman.
According to Dr Mahathir, he claimed that he was in communication with Zeti since Datuk Seri Najib Razak was prime minister.
He claimed that at the time, Zeti had wanted to take action against Najib but the plan did not come to fruition.
On Thursday (April 15), police recorded a statement from Zeti’s husband at the Federal Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) headquarters in Kuala Lumpur.
One of his two sons was also present and had his statement recorded.
It is learnt that Tawfiq had his statement recorded for around three hours.
Bukit Aman CCID director Comm Datuk Zainuddin Yaacob confirmed that Tawfiq had been called to give his statement on Thursday.
"Yes, it was to assist in police investigations," he said briefly when contacted.
In March, Comm Zainuddin said investigations were ongoing over allegations that Tawfiq received funds from 1MDB.
It has been alleged that family members of the central bank's former head had received more than RM100mil, believed to be from 1MDB.
A previous report stated that Singapore police had informed Bank Negara of suspicious transactions involving a company owned by her family, including her husband.
Zeti has denied the allegations via a statement in December.
“I wish to reiterate that my family and I have never received any sums of money from 1MDB.
“The allegations against me and my family are completely false and malicious, ” she said.