PUTRAJAYA: Mayors, local council presidents and their enforcement officers have been empowered to issue compounds to those who do not comply with the Covid-19 standard operating procedure (SOP) and related violations.
Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this includes SOP non-compliance at Ramadan bazaars.
“The National Security Council has received complaints of SOP non-compliance at several Ramadan bazaars.
“This is a serious matter when Covid-19 infectivity is still high.
“Local authorities must ensure that all measures are taken so that the public follows the SOP, ” he said, adding that they have been authorised to do so beginning yesterday.
Ismail Sabri also announced that the districts of Kota Baru, Pasir Mas, Pasir Puteh, Bachok, Machang, Tumpat and Tanah Merah in Kelantan will be placed under the movement control order from Friday following a surge in the number of Covid-19 cases that saw these districts turn into red zones.
He said during this period until April 29, roadblocks will be set up at state and district borders to control movement.
He added that all economic sector and business activities that have been approved by ministries and agencies can operate during MCO.
“The implementation of the MCO at these districts will be in accordance with the SOP that was updated on Feb 26, ” he said in his daily briefing yesterday.
The SOP is available on the National Security Council website.
Ismail Sabri added that health authorities confirmed a 30.5% increase in the number of cases in Kelantan, from 756 to 1,088 cases over the past 14 days, while nine new clusters were identified.
He also said that Kampung Tanjung Batu Keramat in Kota Belud, Sabah, will be placed under an enhanced MCO beginning today, adding that health authorities have recorded 17 cases from 25 screenings.
In Rompin, Pahang, three localities – Ladang Leepang, Ladang Laukin and Kampung Inoi – will also be under the enhanced MCO beginning today.
Ismail Sabri said that health authorities carried out 39 screenings and recorded 25 cases in the three localities so far.
“Following the advice of the Health Ministry, the government has agreed that these localities be put under the order until April 28.
“This will enable the authorities to carry out further screenings and prevent more infections, ” he added.