IPOH: The Ramadan bazaar near the Perak Stadium here drew a large crowd on its first day of operation after being disallowed last year owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Many visitors were seen checking in with the MySejahtera QR code and having their temperature taken at the entry point while Ipoh City Council enforcement officers and policemen were seen in the area.
Inside the trading area, some stall operators could be heard reminding customers to observe the standard operating procedures (SOPs).
However, cordoned-off passageways turned out to be a hindrance when queues forming at stalls took up half the walkways, resulting in congestion.
One visitors, who asked to be identified only as Saiful, said enforcement officers or policemen should patrol the trading area more frequently.
"They should go around reminding the people to maintain physical distancing.
"If a queue is too long, they could advise the customers to come back later or buy from another stall," said the 21-year-old student.
"Stall operators could also use a numbered ticketing system so customers can place an order and return to pick it up later," he added.
According to the SOP for Ramadan bazaars in Ipoh that would be enforced from April 13 to May 12, the premises will be open from 3pm to 8pm daily.
Stalls must be 3m apart while each trader is required to wear an apron, head cover, gloves, face masks or shields when handling food.
Children under 12 and foreign workers are not allowed to work at the bazaars.
Ipoh Mayor Datuk Rumaizi Baharin said the city council will be on site to monitor the situation at bazaars.
On a separate matter, Rumaizi said the city council has received complaints about foreign workers operating illegally at wholesale markets.
He said notices not allowing foreign workers to operate at the wholesale market have been issued.
"We are now working with (relevant) agencies to investigate the matter and take action.
"I am still waiting for reports from the agencies before commenting further," he said.