KOTA KINABALU: The Social Security Organisation (Socso) has successfully remitted over RM1bil to Sabahans through the various economic boosting plans announced by the government.
Its chief executive officer Datuk Seri Dr Mohammed Azman Aziz Mohammaed, said these were in the form of assistance and financial incentives for employers and employees to continue operating their businesses, remain employed, or to hire new workers.
Nationally, he said Socso has distributed a total of RM14.6bil to employers and workers via numerous initiatives.
“This year, as of April 2, we have managed to see 46,971 people rehired, while the number of vacant positions registered by employers have reached 457,753 at this point,” he said in a statement on Wednesday (April 7).
For Sabah, Mohammed said the number of active workers protected under Socso is 280,744, while the number of protected employers are 33,893.
During a career carnival programme here on Tuesday (April 6), he said the country’s overall unemployment rate rose to 4.8%, with a total of 772,900 people without jobs in 2021.
He said data obtained from the National Statistics Department also showed some 4,434 people lost their jobs in Sabah last year, and while for this year, the figure is 851 as of April 2, bringing the total to 5,285.
Mohammed said out of this number, a total of 1,038 have secured jobs from early January to April 2.
“There are 14,357 vacancies available, but the number of registered job hunters on MyFutureJobs is only 12,949," he said.