PETALING JAYA: Tourists who have completed their second dose of Covid-19 vaccine should be allowed to visit Langkawi, says Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
The Langkawi MP said it is necessary to revive the tourism sector in Langkawi, as the island had “suffered” since the implementation of the movement control order on March 18 last year.
“During the MCO, no one visited (Langkawi) until shops and hotels were deserted. To help Langkawi, those who have already been vaccinated twice, I think it should be safe for them to come here, ” he said.
Dr Mahathir was speaking to reporters during a walkabout at Pantai Chenang, Langkawi on Tuesday (March 30).
The former premier also noted that the recovery MCO, which relaxed regulations on Covid-19, have aided in the recovery of the tourism sector in Langkawi.
“Tourists from mainland, especially Kedah, have started coming in, as the ferry schedule now has five trips a day with each ferry carrying 600 people.
“There is relief among some traders here, ” he said.
Meanwhile, Dr Mahathir also said Malaysians who visit Langkawi must abide by standard operating procedures (SOPs) to curb Covid-19.
Tourism activities are currently allowed in areas under the conditional and recovery MCO phases.
Among the activities allowed include public and tourist attractions such as zoos, cultural heritage sites, museums, farms, aquariums, edutainment centres, recreational parks, theme parks, extreme and nature park outlets.
The National Security Council (NSC) also recently announced that interstate travel is allowed between areas under the recovery MCO, but strictly for tourism activities only.