KOTA KINABALU: Former chief minister Tan Sri Musa Aman has formally dropped his appeal in the Federal Court on his legal challenge over the appointment of his successor Datuk Mohd Seri Shafie Apdal in 2018.
His counsel Fuad Tengku Ahmad said they informed the Federal Court of the decision to withdraw the legal bid yesterday.
Shafie’s counsel Datuk Douglas Lind said the Federal Court, in striking out the appeal following the withdrawal, had ordered Musa to pay RM60,000 in costs to Shafie.
He said PBS’ Tamparuli assemblyman Datuk Jahid Jahim, who had also dropped his related legal action against Yang di-Pertua Negeri Tun Juhar Mahiruddin and Shafie over the same issue, was ordered to pay RM20,000 to Shafie.
Lind said the Sabah government did not seek any costs from Musa and Jahid.
“With the striking out of the appeal, Shafie is rightful chief minister and nobody should try to dispute it further, ” he said.
But Fuad said Musa was seeking costs from the state government following his decision to discontinue the rightful chief minister case.
He said Musa had obtained leave from the apex court in September 2020 to appeal the decision of the Kota Kinabalu High Court and Court of Appeal to throw out his case.
Musa, who was Sabah’s longest serving chief minister from 2003 to 2018, was ousted by Shafie barely 48 hours after he was sworn in by Juhar after the May 2018 election.
Musa challenged Juhar’s decision to appoint Shafie but lost his case at the High Court and Court of Appeal. He later filed an application for leave to appeal at the Federal Court.
In the Sept 26 snap state election last year, Shafie’s Warisan Plus lost the state government to Gabungan Rakyat Sabah led by Sabah Bersatu chairman Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor, who is now Chief Minister.
Fuad said Musa was disappointed that the court did not hear his case in spite of a certificate of urgency for leave application filed earlier.