MCA and MIC chiefs: No consensus to seek appeal


PETALING JAYA: Barisan Nasional never came to a consensus to seek an appeal to Yang di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah to order Parliament to convene as soon as possible, say the MCA and MIC presidents.

MCA president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong and MIC president Tan Sri M. Vigneswaran said although the matter was brought up at the Barisan meeting on Wednesday, the argument was more to oppose a Parliament sitting during a state of emergency, in line with what the King had decreed.

Stating the facts: Dr Wee (left) and Vigneswaran.Stating the facts: Dr Wee (left) and Vigneswaran.

“In fact, I presented the case that we support the decree made by the King that he will act on the matter (order a Parliament sitting) upon the advice of Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

“I also stated that there is already the Emergency (Essential Powers) Ordinance 2021 which we must abide by, ” Dr Wee said when contacted yesterday.

Vigneswaran said the only consensus was there would be no statement from Barisan with regards to the appeal to the King to order a Parliament sitting soonest possible.

“The King has decreed and we will not put undue pressure on His Majesty with further discussion on the matter, ” said Vigneswaran.

On Thursday, Barisan issued a statement where chairman Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the coalition would make an appeal to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to order a Parliament sitting to be held as soon as possible for lawmakers to debate on several crucial matters.

However, it was later clarified that the statement had been mistakenly released without approval.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Next In Nation

Food delivery man killed by falling tree branch following heavy rain in Cheras
Ramadan bazaars will be closed if Covid-19 infections occur, says Annuar Musa
As Covid-19 cases rise, local authorities in Sabah told to review ruling on markets and stalls
Sabah STAR sec-gen Guandee Kohoi to be sworn in as Deputy Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister on Friday (April 16)
Cops record statement from Zeti’s husband
Religious school in Kelantan, Kuching Pulapol under EMCO from April 16-29
State to ramp up vaccination plan to immunise all eligible Sarawakians by end-August, says Douglas Uggah
Employment portal will help Malaysia legalise undocumented Bangladeshis, says High Commissioner
No MCO in five Sarawak districts, CMCO to continue until April 26 as scheduled, says Deputy CM
Two boats held in Johor over illegal fishing

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers