BUTTERWORTH: A 64-year-old man lost 25 goats after a fire broke out at his goat pen at Permatang Kerai Kecil here on Saturday (Feb 27).
North Seberang Prai OCPD Asst Comm Noorzainy Mohd Noor said the losses were estimated at RM40,000.
He said initially, the man was burning goat faeces to turn them into fertiliser, and the pile was still smouldering. The man thought nothing of it but the pile later caught fire again and the blaze was put out.
“Following a call from his neighbour at 9.51am Sunday (Feb 28), police arrived to find that the fire had been put out.
“The owner admitted that he did not make a report as he did not suspect any foul play in the incident.
“The owner said he was burning a huge pile of goat faeces to turn them into fertiliser and the pile was smouldering by the evening.
“But at night, he saw that a fire had broken out at the pen from his house and could not do anything as the fire had spread.
“The owner believed the fire broke out due to the burning of the huge pile of goat faeces, ” ACP Noorzainy added.