PONTIAN: Three wannabe social media stars are under investigation for firearms possession after staging a "robbery" in front of a bank here on Monday night (Feb 22).
Pontian deputy OCPD Deputy Supt Azri Noraini said police spotted a black Mercedes Benz which was obstructing traffic in front of a bank along Jalan Taib here at around 9.10pm.
“There were three men inside the vehicle who were behaving suspiciously and when we went nearer to the car, two suspects were in the midst of wearing masks and red suits.
“They are also seen holding firearms and black coloured bags while another suspect had a camera,” he said here on Tuesday (Feb 23).
DSP Azri said police immediately detained the trio, who are aged between 23 and 25.
He said police seized a camera, fake pistol, fake rifle, two masks, two red suits, and a black bag.
Upon questioning, he said police learned the trio had been acting and had wanted to upload the pictures on Facebook.
“They also revealed that the fake firearms they used had been bought through an e-commerce platform,” he said, adding that the case was being investigated under Section 36 of the Firearms Act 1960.
DSP Azri reminded the public to always adhere to the law in particular firearms ownership and usage to avoid action being taken against them.
Did you find this article insightful?