KOTA KINABALU: Sabah recorded 85 Covid-19 cases on Sunday (Feb 21), the lowest in nearly five months following the Sept 26 snap elections.
This is the second time in six days that the figure has dipped below three digits after recording 96 cases on Monday (Feb 15). The number of cases hovered slightly over 100 cases last week.
The double-digit recorded was the first time since Sept 29, as cases started to spike rapidly across the state which triggered the third wave in the country.
Sabah Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun reiterated the need for the public to continue maintaining SOPs strictly, amid relaxations on public movement and businesses since the implementation of the conditional movement control order on Feb 19.
He said 51% of new cases were from direct contact, while the remaining were from contact tracing as well as the Perkeso foreign workers’ screening programme.
Kota Kinabalu and neighbouring Penampang district recorded 16 new cases each, Tawau reported 14 new cases while Lahad Datu and interior Keningau had six cases each and Sandakan had 13.
Positive cases were also detected in Kalabakan and Tuaran (three each), Beaufort (two) and one each in Semporna, Kota Marudu, Kota Belud, Ranau, Papar, Nabawan, he said, adding that there were no new clusters.
Masidi said that 850 people were undergoing treatment, with 309 at hospitals while the remaining were at quarantine centres.
Fifty are in intensive care units with 13 of them requiring ventilators.