Sabah’s Covid-19 cases drop to double digits for first time since September


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah’s daily Covid-19 cases dropped to 97 on Monday (Feb 15), the first double digit figure recorded since September last year.

Previously, positive cases recorded a jump following the Sabah state elections in September.

State Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun however reminded Sabahans to continue adhering to the standard operating procedure (SOP) despite the downward trend, to further reduce the numbers.

Asked whether the declining trend was attributed to less testing done during Chinese New Year (CNY) or shortage of testing kits claimed by netizens on social media, Masidi denied both.

“We have not received any report of such (shortage).

“As far as we are concerned, at least in Sabah, testing has been going on as usual.

"Just because of CNY, it does not mean people are working less. Frontliners are working tirelessly - before, during and after CNY, ” he said during a virtual press conference on Monday (Feb 15).

He also said that any possible transmissions during CNY celebration can only be seen a week from now, as the virus has a 10-day incubation period.

“If there is no obvious spike, it means Sabahans have done their part in celebrating the festival under the new norm and protocols, ” he added.

On whether the movement control order (MCO) in Sabah will end this Feb 18, Masidi said there are many other aspects the health officials and National Security Council have to take into consideration before deciding.

“The Health Ministry will conduct risk assessment to decide whether to continue or end the MCO, ” he added.

On the updates of screenings at plantations and mills by Socso, he said as of Feb 15,60% or 69,088 immigrant workers out of the total 115,157 registered with Socso have been screened.

“A total of 255 workers were tested positive of the virus, an increase of 31 individuals compared to the last report on Feb 2 (224 workers).

“Employers still have until the end of this month to get the workers screened, ” he added.

On the vaccination programme, Masidi said Sabah is targeting to vaccinate three million people by February next year.

Reiterating the timeline announced by the Federal Government previously, Masidi assured that vaccination will be done simultaneously nationwide.

“There is no such thing as Kuala Lumpur will be prioritised. It will be done simultaneously.

"Once the vaccine arrives, it will be distributed to the frontliners across the country in the first phase, ” he added.

On access to the vaccines for illegals in Sabah, Masidi said the state government has decided that the vaccination programme includes undocumented immigrants and it is free for all.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Sabah , Covid-19 , Masidi Manjun

   

Next In Nation

PM expresses condolences to Wong Sai Wan’s family, says veteran newsman will be greatly missed
Man slashed to death in bushes by assailants near Teluk Intan, two friends also hurt
King, Queen convey condolences to archer Haziq's family
Kedah police rule out foul play over case of teen found dead after private party
Youth and Sports Minister rubbishes talk surrounding Haziq's death, says don't spread 'fake news'
Ismail Sabri: Two villages in Alor Gajah and Tawau under EMCO from May 16-29
Ismail Sabri: 14 remanded, 278 issued compounds for Covid-19 SOP violations
Health, safety of personnel at roadblocks top priority, says Melaka cop
Terengganu MB, exco members donate a month's pay in aid of Palestinians
Covid-19: 533 new cases in Sarawak, one death

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers