No objection to national bowling squad undergoing training during MCO, says Youth and Sports Minister


KUALA LUMPUR (Bernama): The Youth and Sports Ministry (KBS) has no objection to high-performance or elite athletes at the national level, including the national tenpin bowling squad, undergoing training during the current movement control order period.

Minister Datuk Seri Reezal Merican Naina Merican (pic) said the national bowling squad has been given an exemption to undergo training under the sports bubble or quarantine-based approaches although bowling centres have yet to be allowed to operate.

"For elite athletes under the National Sports Council (NSC) programme, there is no problem for them to continue training. For the public, it is still not allowed as there is a tendency for them to go bowling for leisure and most bowling centres are located in shopping complexes.

"We are opening up sports that have an impact on the public and livelihood, and direct impact on fitness and health. Sports that are related to leisure can come in the next phases, ” he said Saturday (Feb 14).

The media had previously reported that the national bowling squad’s training was affected as bowling centres, including training venues located in shopping complexes, were closed due to the implementation of the MCO from Jan 13.

Meanwhile, NSC director-general Datuk Ahmad Shapawi Ismail explained that the national bowling squad had chosen to leave the quarantine-based training camp while the MCO was being implemented last month.

"The bowling squad requested to leave the camp on the assumption that the MCO would end in two weeks, but it has been extended. We will wait until Feb 18 to see whether the MCO is extended again or not.

"If it is extended, we will discuss again with the MTBC (Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress) and will resume the training using the sports bubble approach.

"The athletes are required to stay at NSC’s accommodation and we will provide special vehicles for them to go to the training centre and return, ” he said.

The government had previously decided to extend the implementation of the nationwide MCO for two weeks from Feb 5 to 18.

The MCO was first gazetted on Jan 13. - Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

MACC to investigate after PKR’s Sekijang MP lodges report over poaching allegations
Structural repairs on Penang Bridge to be shortened by a week
China to boost Asean ties, supports region in fight against Covid-19
Siblings aged seven, 14, injured, parents die in car-van collision
Covid-19: Sarawak records 201 new cases, two new clusters detected
Covid-19: Eight new clusters identified, five linked to workplaces
PKR’s Sekijang MP lodges report with MACC over poaching allegations
Ismail Sabri: 442 nabbed for Covid-19 SOP violations on Saturday (March 6)
Ismail Sabri: EMCO in Kg Tringgus in Bau, Sarawak from March 8-21
Dr M gives thumbs up after receiving Covid-19 vaccine

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers