PETALING JAYA: Two areas in Perak – Felcra Nasaruddin and Felda Bersia – have been placed under an enhanced movement control order after recording significant hikes in Covid-19 cases, said Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
According to the Senior Minister (Defence), the decision came after Felcra Nasaruddin in Perak Tengah recorded 28 positive cases and 45 individuals were put under mandatory home quarantine.
"Upon advice and a risk assessment by the Health Ministry, the special meeting (of the government's Covid-19 committee) has agreed to enforce the enhanced MCO at Felcra Nasaruddin beginning Feb 3 to 16," he said at his daily briefing on Tuesday (Feb 2).
Similarly, Felda Bersia will be placed under the enhanced MCO for the same period after it recorded 20 positive cases from 51 Covid-19 screenings.
"The enhanced MCO enforcement is to facilitate the Health Ministry in conducting mass screenings that will involve 800 residents," he added.
Ismail Sabri also said the enhanced MCO at Kampung Orang Asli Batu 6 at Jalan Pahang in Batang Padang, Perak was extended after it recorded 27 Covid-19 cases in 309 screenings.
He added that there are still 34 residents who are undergoing mandatory home quarantine while a resident who tested positive is currently being isolated.
"Therefore, the government has agreed to extend the enhanced MCO at the village for seven more days from Feb 4 to 10."
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the government is aware of feedback by micro-business owners who are eager to resume operations again.
He assured them that the government is currently deliberating the matter through the Health Ministry and the National Security Council and it will be brought before a technical meeting before a decision is made.
"The government is also hoping for Malaysians to abide by the SOP because the cases are still high. So we must all play our part to ensure the safety of ourselves and the society," he said.
Ismail Sabri also said the enhanced MCO at the Pusat Pemulihan Akhlak (correctional rehabilitation centre) in Muar, Johor, that is scheduled to end on Feb 3 has been lifted.
He said this was decided after all positive cases have recovered from Covid-19.
The juvenile correctional facility had been placed under the enhanced MCO since Dec 24.