KOTA KINABALU: Less than a quarter of the 118,376 foreign workers have undergone Covid-19 testing, says state Covid-19 spokesman Datuk Masidi Manjun.
As of Tuesday (Feb 2), he said 26,516 legal foreign workers registered with Perkeso had been tested.
He said only 659 of the 8,369 employers registered with the state Manpower Department had sent their foreign workers for the Covid-19 testing programme that was made compulsory on Jan 1.
He said special operations by the Manpower Department, Department of Safety and Health (DOSH) and Perkeso would be conducted to check on Sabah employers who fail to send their foreign workers for Covid-19 tests.
Masidi said the three departments in the state had formed 15 special enforcement task force groups to carry out checks and enforcement.
"They will visit premises to ensure employers observe the mandatory requirement for all their workers to be tested," said Masidi, who is state Local Government and Housing Minister.
"Employers who fail get their foreign workers tested by Feb 28 could fail to get their workers' work permits renewed," he said, adding they could also face action under health laws.
Masidi also said four more schools in the east coast of Sandakan had been temporarily closed following the detection of Covid-19. The schools are SMK Sandakan, Sandakan Vocational College, SM St Cecilia and SMKA Tun Juhar.
This makes it a total of eight schools in Sandakan closed due to Covid-19, while two kindergartens, Tadika Jati (Taman Harrington) and Kinabalu International School in Kota Kinabalu, were also closed.
However, he did not say whether it was students or staff infected.