IPOH: The Covid-19 screening programme for foreign workers will be extended nationwide beginning Tuesday (Feb 2), says Datuk Seri M. Saravanan.
The Human Resources Minister said following the implementation of the movement control order and the announcement of the Permai assistance package, the programme has been extended beyond the four states and two Federal Territories.
He said the programme implemented by the Social Security Organisation (Socso) will be carried out with the cooperation from private clinics nationwide.
Saravanan said Socso has added a further RM54mil for the extension of the screening programme.
“The screening will utilise the Antigen Rapid Test kits (RTK-Ag), with the cost of the kits borne by Socso.
“Employers will however be required to pay for the charges imposed by the clinics or hospitals.
“However, employers will need to bear the total screening cost for foreign workers who are not Socso contributors, ” he said in a statement on Saturday (Jan 30).
Last month, the government had announced that the mandatory Covid-19 screening for foreign workers would begin on Jan 1.
Saravanan had said that employers should provide Covid-19 screening tests for their foreign workers in accordance with the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (Measures within the Infected Local Areas (No.9)) 2020 order under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 which came into force on Jan 1,2021.
He had said that the programme would focus on four high-risk states and two Federal Territories involving 800,000 foreign workers.
The states are Selangor, Negri Sembilan, Penang, Sabah and the Federal Territories of Kuala Lumpur and Labuan.
Detailed information on the programme including the list of participating clinics can be obtained at the PSP portal (https://psp.perkeso.gov.my).
For details, the public can email email@example.com or call the hotline at 1-300-22-8000 or 03-4264 5089.