PUTRAJAYA: Covid-19 recoveries continue to outnumber new cases as Malaysia completes two weeks of the movement control order.
In the same 24-hour span, the country saw 3,585 new Covid-19 cases while 4,076 patients were discharged.
“The number of people with active Covid-19 infections in Malaysia has gone down to 40,574, ” said Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.
It has been four days straight that Covid-19 recoveries are more than new cases in the country.
The MCO has been imposed since Jan 13 and is scheduled to end on Feb 4, covering all states except Sarawak.
Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham said the country’s Covid-19 death toll had gone up to 700, after 11 more people succumbed to the coronavirus.
He said four of the deaths were in Kuala Lumpur while three were in Sarawak and one each in Perak, Johor, Selangor and Penang.
The victims were aged between 42 and 92 and most suffered from comorbidities such as diabetes, high blood pressure or chronic kidney disease.
Two deaths – a 42-year-old Malaysian man at Hospital Penang and a 54-year-old foreign woman at Hospital Kuala Lumpur – have been classified as “dead on arrival” cases.
The number of patients with severe conditions continued to grow, with 280 patients now in intensive care and 111 requiring ventilator support.
Meanwhile, a Covid-19 outbreak involving a religious centre has been discovered in Kulim, Kedah.
The outbreak has 34 confirmed cases so far and is one of the seven new clusters classified by the Health Ministry yesterday.
“The cluster, which is named ‘Keladi Saga’, is linked to infections in Kampung Keladi and Taman Saga in Kulim.
“Since Jan 21,49 individuals linked to the cluster have been screened and 34 have tested positive for Covid-19, ” said Dr Noor Hisham in a statement.
Did you find this article insightful?
50% readers found this article insightful