PETALING JAYA: The police have arrested 550 people for violating standard operating procedures of the movement control order, says Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
Of the number, he said 499 were slapped with compounds while 42 were remanded with nine given bail.
Among the offences committed on Saturday (Jan 23) were failing to wear face masks (130), no social distancing (68), interstate travel without permission (54), failing to record customers' details (112), and operating beyond the permitted time (44).
The task force monitoring SOP compliance carried out 57,250 checks on Saturday.
He added that a total of 518 roadblocks were mounted nationwide with 54 illegal immigrants arrested under Ops Benteng.
“Authorities had also detected the presence of 142 boats close to Malaysian waters during surveillance activities, ” he said on Sunday (Jan 24).
Ismail Sabri also said that 704 individuals had returned to the country and were currently under quarantine at government facilities.
Since April 24 last year, 109,743 individuals who returned to the country underwent quarantine at 76 hotels and 15 training institutes.
Ismail Sabri said that the Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) checks had also been carried out at eight construction sites, of which seven were in compliance with SOP, while one had ceased operations.
On the whole, he said that CIDB had carried out a total of 14,589 checks on 8,261 construction sites since April last year.
The government announced the extension of the MCO to Feb 4 for all states except Sarawak.
The MCO was implemented on Jan 13 but was extended due to a spike in positive cases.
Did you find this article insightful?
67% readers found this article insightful