Last flood relief centre in Sabah deactivated


Authorities handling the process of sending off villagers from the last remaining shelter at Dewan DSP Mohd Dun Banir in Beaufort back to their homes.

KOTA KINABALU: The last flood shelter in Sabah at the Beaufort district was deactivated at 2.15pm Saturday (Jan 23), as the remaining evacuees were allowed to return home.

The 52 flood victims housed at Dewan DSP Mohd Dun Banir relief centre were allowed to go back as the situation is safe and has returned to normal at their villages, according to the state disaster management committee secretariat.

Earlier, the sole remaining shelter in Kota Belud - Dewan Kg Song-Song - was also closed with 42 villagers returning to their own houses.

Sabah was hit with bad weather early last week, where continuous downpour coupled with the high tide phenomenon saw villages inundated, landslides as well as damage to roads, bridges and other infrastructure.

Two major incidents occurred during the natural disaster. In Pitas, a bridge collapsed, disconnecting access to seven villages, where food assistance was rendered to them via helicopter.

The second incident was the collapse of a parking lot in hilly Kundasang, located in the vicinity of the Kinabalu National Park.

Prior to that, the parking area had already been cordoned off due to soil movements last year.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

 Flood , Shelter , Deactivated , Sabah , Relief Centre , Evacuees

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Let us all pray we can 'balik kampung' this Hari Raya, says Ismail Sabri
Covid-19: Three M'sians among 18 new imported cases in S'pore Thursday (March 4)
No more 'wayang kulit', Umno must decide to quit Perikatan govt immediately, says Ku Li
INTERACTIVE: Why Covid-19 vaccine queue-jumpers are a threat, and what can be done
Bersatu: We have decided
‘Pandemic or not, we are on track’ are completely on track, says Works Minister
‘Vaccine is safe for all ages’
MySejahtera app now tracks your registration progress
80,000-plus have got their Covid-19 jabs already
Moviegoers from same household can sit in pairs

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers