Pahang govt agrees to assistance measures for flood victims


KUANTAN: The Pahang government has agreed for assistance to be given to flood victims to help them cope in the post-flood period.

Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail announced that among the aids was an allocation for a period of time to heads of households who need to rent another house due to sustaining total losses from the floods.

"Consideration will be given as well to provide a one-off contribution at a certain rate to heads of households registered with the flood operations control centres in their respective districts.

"A rebate up to RM15 will also be given to heads of households for domestic water use for January. For houses that are completely lost, a full rebate on water use will be given for the months of January and February," he said in a statement on Friday (Jan 22).

He added that another form of financial aid would be a January rental exemption for tenants of stalls owned by local authorities that were affected by the floods, adding that for severely damaged stalls, the exemption would be given for a period until the stalls are fully restored.

Wan Rosdy said district and land offices are required to update detailed information on flood victims, including the type of house damage suffered for the purpose of channeling follow-up assistance by the state government, federal government and non-governmental organisations, as well as contributions from the United Arab Emirates.

"District and land offices will also coordinate efforts to locate the houses of flood victims who need to be given assistance in the maintenance work of damaged electrical wiring due to the floods," he said.

Wan Rosdy added that the state exco also agreed to a proposal to establish a permanent multipurpose settlement centre to place flood victims especially from the worst affected districts, namely Kuantan, Pekan, Maran and Temerloh.

The centre would be open for other activities during the off-flood season, he said.

"With the proposed assistance so far, it is hoped that it will be sufficient to alleviate the burden borne by the flood victims in going through this challenging period," said Wan Rosdy.

Article type: free
User access status:
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Open burning prohibited in Selangor, Pahang, Johor
Police: Two people in van trapped in MRR2 bridge collapse died at scene
All five victims trapped after SUKE bridge collapsed extracted, sent to hospital
Zoo Negara to reopen on Friday (March 5)
Woman hurt after accident with police patrol car in Kluang
SUKE developer: Overloaded trailer in MRR2 bridge collapse not involved in highway's construction
All ship crew members entering Sabah waters for barter trade must be tested for Covid-19, says Masidi
Police investigating threats to health officials in Nabawan over Covid-19 cases
Johor cops nab seven bikers for reckless riding
Hailstones hit Cheras during downpour

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers