KOTA KINABALU: The government should allow barbershops and hairdressing salons to operate during the movement control order currently in force in Sabah, says Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) vice-president Gee Tien Siong (pic).
Claiming that 1,000 of these premises state-wide were affected by the ban on operations, he said the ruling again put them in a tight spot economically with some resorting to taking house calls in secret.
He said that the group was already not allowed to operate under government regulations in March last year when the first MCO was enforced, adding that they were closed until June 2020.
Gee added that these hairdressers only operated for half a year in 2020 and have earnestly requested that the government relax the rules and let them open their business with strict adherence to the standard operating procedures as a condition.
He said this in a statement here on Wednesday (Jan 20) after meeting representatives of the barbershops who expressed their frustrations.
“I was told that due to government restrictions, many hairdressers are forced to resort to conducting their own haircut business ‘in secret’ at their customers' homes to sustain their livelihoods.
"Without proper operating conditions, it would be even more difficult to trace the source of the virus, should there be a need to," he said.
In contrast, if barbershops are allowed to operate, both the barbers and the customers will be required to wear the standard masks and disposable protective suits, and operate based on appointments as part of the previous SOP set by the authorities, he added.
“I will forward all their suggestions to the Chief Minister’s office and the state National Disaster Management Committee, ” said Gee as he hoped that some restrictions would be lifted before the coming Chinese New Year to avoid a rush to the salons.
Did you find this article insightful?
86% readers found this article insightful