KUALA LUMPUR: Public transport services will continue through the movement control order, says Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong.
"We will still continue operations as it is a main mode of transportation for many Malaysians, especially those from the B40 segment, especially when they need to go out to get necessities during the MCO," said the Transport Minister in a Facebook post on Sunday (Jan 17).
The MCA president also said in the post that the experience of facing the first MCO in March last year had seen a steep decline of passengers for public transportation such as buses and rail.
"All of us should play our part by practicing the new normal and curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic," he added, saying that Malaysians should adhere to Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs) during the current MCO.
Wee said that the Transport Ministry and the Land Public Transport Agency will continue to monitor public transport operations nationwide to ensure that all SOPs are complied with, including by the service operators.
He said this includes wearing face masks, using hand sanitizer, and maintaining physical distancing when using public transportation.
"It is a priority for us to ensure that passenger capacity is not too packed or a risk to the public when using public transportation," said Wee
Did you find this article insightful?
65% readers found this article insightful