KOTA KINABALU: Authorities are continuing to extend food assistance to rural Pitas communities who have been cut off due to recent flooding using all means possible.
Sabah Community Development and People’s Well-being Minister Shahelmey Yahya, who visited the district on Saturday (Jan 16), said besides sending food rations via helicopter, they were also using boats and vehicles to reach the villagers.
He said he used a helicopter to get to Kampung Liu to witness food distribution for the seven surrounding villages which road links and bridges had been damaged.
“We will continue with the food aid delivery via air tomorrow.
“Besides that, there is also transport via sea and rivers but it all depends on weather conditions.
“There are also efforts being made to provide temporary roads by the Public Works Department, ” Shahelmey added.
He also visited the disaster operation centre in Pitas and the SK Pekan Pitas temporary relocation centre to see how the evacuees were doing, and said he was satisfied with the conditions there.
“As some areas in Pitas still have connectivity problems, we and the district disaster operation centre are discussing measures to help them, ” he said.
Pitas was one of the districts in Sabah hit by the bad weather earlier this week, including the high tide phenomenon that saw homes inundated and landslides occurring.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful