Covid-19: 146 new cases recorded in Sarawak


KUCHING: Sarawak reported 146 new Covid-19 cases on Tuesday (Jan 12), the second consecutive day of a triple-digit increase which takes the state's tally of confirmed cases to 1,574.

The state disaster management committee said 92 cases were reported in Sibu, 20 in Sebauh, 12 in Kanowit, 11 in Miri, three each in Beluru and Kuching, two in Dalat and one each in Saratok, Bintulu and Limbang.

It said 111 of the cases were linked to the Pasai cluster, which stemmed from a funeral at Rumah Langi longhouse at Pasai Siong, Sibu, on Dec 29-31.

The Pasai cluster now has 194 infections from 1,243 individuals screened so far, while 800 tested negative and 249 are still awaiting results.

The committee also said a new cluster was identified in Sebauh district in Bintulu, dubbed the Bukit Sekubung cluster.

"The index case is Case 1,258 who was detected on Jan 8 after seeking treatment at the Sebauh health clinic.

"As of noon on Jan 12, a total of 32 individuals have been screened and 21 found to be positive, including the index case. Three are negative and eight still waiting for results," the committee said in a statement.

It said the Sebauh district was now an orange zone after recording 21 locally transmitted cases in the last 14 days, while the Limbang district turned yellow with one local transmission.

Kuching, Sibu and Miri districts remain red zones with a total of 316 local transmissions in the last 14 days.

Beluru, Dalat, Selangau, Samarahan, Sri Aman, Bukit Mabong, Meradong and Bintulu are yellow zones with a total of 26 local transmissions, while 27 other districts are green.

Red zones are districts with 41 or more locally transmitted cases in the last 14 days, orange zones 21 to 40, yellow zones one to 20 and green zones with none.

The committee also said the coming Chinese New Year celebration would be limited to the first day only with a maximum of 20 people, who must be family members, at any one time.

"Detailed standard operating procedures (SOP) can be obtained from the state Local Government and Housing Ministry's website," it said.

It added that the SOP for the conditional movement control order (MCO) in Kuching, Sibu and Miri is available from the National Security Council's website at www.mkn.gov.my/web/ms/sop-pkp-pemulihan/.

The MCO will be in force from Jan 13 to 26.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

80% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: Cases up by 3,339, bringing total to 158,434 (updated daily)
Fostering certified timber usage in building and construction
Penang Hill listing could happen soon
‘Malaysian Breakfast’ for intangible heritage list?
Recognising our cultural diversity
MOH guidelines on homecare
Cops score major drug haul
Suspected wildlife smuggler nabbed again
Solve Sabah’s flood problems, govt urged
Annuar: MCA is only option for Umno

Stories You'll Enjoy