KUALA LUMPUR: The flood situation in several states has improved with more evacuees returning home.
In TERENGGANU, the number of evacuees dropped to 117 as of 3pm on Tuesday (Jan 5) from 1,074 in the morning, Bernama reports.
State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat head Lt Kol (PA) Che Adam A Rahman said the flood situation in Dungun had improved with the closure of three relief centres in Kampung Shukor, Kampung Pasir Raja and Kampung Minda, while five relief centres in Kemaman were still open.
"However, the alert weather warning is still in effect for the other six districts, namely Setiu, Besut, Hulu Terengganu, Marang, Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Nerus," he told reporters.
In PERAK, the number of evacuees also dropped from 1,237 in the morning to 630 as of 2pm.
A spokesman for the Perak State Disaster Management Committee Secretariat said the victims were housed at seven relief centres in three affected districts namely Hilir Perak (515), Muallim (82) and Kampar (33).
Six relief centres were closed, three in Muallim, one each in Hilir Perak, Kampar and Kuala Kangsar.
The infobanjir.water.gov.my portal reported only Sungai Perak in Kampung Gajah had reached the alert level of 6.79m as of 2pm.
In SELANGOR the flood situation continues to improve with two of four relief centres namely the Kampung Baru community hall and Kampung Sungai Selisik public hall in Hulu Bernam closed around noon.
A spokesman for the Smart Selangor Command Centre (SSCC) said 13 victims were housed at the community hall in Kampung Alah Batu, Gedangsa in Hulu Bernam, while 55 evacuees were taking shelter at SK Rantau Panjang in Kuala Selangor.
In KELANTAN, Gua Musang assistant community development officer Muhd Nasriuddin Asman said 78 evacuees from 18 families housed at the relief centres in Gua Musang were allowed to return home at 2.30pm.
The Public Info Banjir portal reported that three rivers in the state had breached the alert level namely Sungai Kampung Temangan, Machang at 16.51m (alert level of 15.5m),
Sungai Kuala Krai in Kuala Krai at 24.2m (22.5m) and Sungai Kelantan in Kusial, Tanah Merah at 14.78m (14m).
In JOHOR, the flood situation in the state continues to improve after all victims at the relief centre in Pontian were allowed to return home.
Johor Health and Environment Committee chairman R. Vidyananthan said the number of victims in temporary shelter state-wide currently stands at 4,116 as of 7pm compared with 4,518 at 4pm.
He said four centres have been closed and there are currently 36 still open in six districts.
“Kota Tinggi remains as the district with the highest number of victims at 2,314, followed by Kluang at 1,249, Mersing at 316, Segamat (94), Johor Baru (72), Batu Pahat (71), while all victims from Pontian are able to return home," he said in a statement.
The figure shows a drop in the number of victims in Kota Tinggi, Kluang, Segamat and Mersing while the number of victims in Johor Baru and Batu Pahat remains the same compared to three hours ago.
Meanwhile, the roads that are closed are: Kota Tinggi - Mersing, Jalan Lok Heng, Jalan Tai Hong, Jalan Tun Sri Lanang, Jalan Mawai Lama and Jalan Kampung Kelantan in Kota Tinggi, Jalan Haji Suhud in Johor Baru and Jalan Nitar Utama in Mersing.
The number of flood-related deaths also remain at three during press time.
In PAHANG the number of victims slightly rose to 17,747 who remained at 238 relief centres in 10 districts.
The Welfare Department Disaster Info portal said Maran has the highest number of evacuees at 4,553 followed by Kuantan (3,255), Lipis (2,389), Raub (2,190), Jerantut (1,828), Temerloh (1,988), Rompin (1,006), Pekan (273), Bera (144) and Bentong (121).
ANIH Berhad, the concession holder of the East Coast Expressway Phase 1 (LPT1), said in a statement that KM84.6-KM84.7 in Lanchang towards Kuala Lumpur which had been closed since Sunday (Jan 3) night, was opened at 9am.
However, it said KM113 was still closed to all vehicles after being flooded since 9pm Monday (Jan 4).
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful