KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah government fully supports the decision to declare a state of emergency for Bugaya which puts the by-election on hold to avoid further spread of Covid-19.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor (pic) described it as a wise decision as the pandemic remained a threat.
“We want to stop the spread of Covid-19, flatten the curve and most importantly, save lives, ” he said in a statement on Wednesday (Dec 16).
In a separate statement, Sabah Barisan Nasional chairman Datuk Seri Bung Moktar Radin echoed the sentiment, declaring it an appropriate move.
“Sabah Barisan and Sabah Umno welcomes the declaration of a state of emergency which will see the postponement of the Bugaya state seat by-election, ” said the state Umno chief.
He said that Sabah Barisan had previously decided that they would not be participating in the Bugaya by-election should it take place.
“This decision is needed so we do not worsen the health crisis and avoid more loss of lives, ” he said.
Previously, the Election Commission had set Bugaya by-election for Jan 16 following the death of its elected representative Manis Muka Mohd Darah from Parti Warisan Sabah.
This was the second time a by-election in Sabah had been postponed following a declaration of a state of emergency, after the Batu Sapi parliamentary constituency was left vacant due to the death of its MP Datuk Liew Vui Keong.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful