MIRI: The Christmas Parade here has been cancelled for the first time in 15 years due to Covid-19, says city mayor Adam Yii.
He told The Star on Friday (Dec 4) that the city council and churches have decided that staging the parade this year has been deemed unsafe.
"In the interests of the public, the annual parade through the city streets will not proceed. There will be no big gatherings due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic," he said.
The annual parade started in 2005 and drew a crowd of 45,000 people. It is jointly organised jointly by the city council and the 15 churches in Miri.
Sarawak has been badly affected by the pandemic, with 19 deaths and over 1,000 people testing positive so far.
Did you find this article insightful?