Sabah wants more info over claims of improper medical waste disposal before taking action


KOTA KINABALU: The state government wants more information over claims that medical waste is not being disposed of properly.

Minister in charge of Covid-19 matters in Sabah, Datuk Seri Masidi Manjun, said he would need more information before taking necessary action.

“Give us the details and we will be more than happy to get the information from the relevant departments concerned because this is a serious matter, ” he said during his daily Covid-19 press conference here on Thursday (Nov 26).

He said this when asked about a complaint lodged against a medical waste contractor based in Lok Kawi near here that there is an overload of medical waste in the area.

Asked if there was any reinfection of those who had recovered from Covid-19 in Sabah, he said there was none he had been informed of.

“I really hope there is none. International discussions have said the possibility is there but I am not a doctor, ” he said.

Masidi said patients who had been discharged would continue to be monitored and are required to return for review from time to time.

He said from the total of 84 Covid-19 clusters recorded in the state as of Nov 26,63 are still active with only 13 clusters still recording new cases.

He said the emergence of new clusters over the past months had not been linked to existing clusters, especially the super spreader strain detected in the previous Benteng Lahad Datu cluster.

Meanwhile, Masidi said food baskets and other forms of required assistance would continue to be allocated to families affected by the enhanced MCO implemented in several localities in Sabah.

“The SOP in place also allows one representative per family to go out to buy food and withdraw money from ATM machines, so there is no total cut-off and they can still go out to get essentials for their families, ” he said.

On the recently-passed Budget 2021 in Parliament, he said the additional RM50mil funds for Sabah to fight Covid-19 could be utilised for food, logistics, reagent test purchases and many other uses that are relevant in Sabah’s fight against Covid-19.

“We hope apart from this RM50mil allocated for Sabah, more from the Federal allocation to fight the virus can be used in Sabah, ” Masidi said.

Sabah recorded a small increase in Covid-19 cases on Nov 26 at 326, with three deaths (in Kota Kinabalu, Tawau and Sandakan) and two new clusters detected, both in Tawau.

Kota Kinabalu has the highest number of new cases at 72, Tawau (45), Lahad Datu (41), Tuaran (30), Semporna (26), Kudat (22), Kota Belud (17), Penampang and Keningau 13 respectively, Putatan (10), Sandakan (nine), Papar (eight), Beaufort (seven), Pitas (six), Ranau (four), Beluran (two) and Tenom (one).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Squabbling over PM post during pandemic is being insensitive to people's plight, says Abdul Hadi
Tok Mat rubbishes report of Umno supreme council backing him as PM candidate in next GE
Eurocham: No mention of lockdown after Feb 4 in meeting with Miti
Senior citizen lodges police report over social media post claiming he violated Covid-19 quarantine
Thaipusam: Chariot only allowed to travel to Batu Caves without procession, Annuar clarifies
Lion and dragon dance troupes bracing for hard times
Covid-19: Nine new clusters reported, eight linked to workplaces
Covid-19: Two more deaths, 255 new cases in Sarawak as of Sunday (Jan 24)
Cops foil two ketum-smuggling attempts, seize leaves worth RM33,390
Bentong Prison, staff quarters to be under EMCO from Jan 25-Feb 8

Stories You'll Enjoy