SUNGAI PETANI (Bernama): A food stall trader died when a defective fire extinguisher placed in front of his house exploded in Bandar Puteri Jaya here.
Kuala Muda District Police chief ACP Adzli Abu Shah said that in the 1.15pm incident on Sunday (Nov 22), the victim, Mohamad Yusri Omar, 43, was repairing a radio belonging to his friend, who was also with him.
"The deceased did part-time work repairing electronic equipment to earn some side income.
"The witness (the deceased's friend), also said that the fire extinguisher was about three feet away from them.
"The fire extinguisher suddenly started emitting white smoke and Mohamad Yusri picked it up to throw it away but it exploded," he said in a statement.
ACP Adzli said the deceased's wife rushed out of the house and found her husband lying on the ground covered in blood and with injuries to his leg, thigh and left arm.
He said she and the friend rushed Mohamad Yusri, who was still conscious, to the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital here.
However, he was pronounced dead by the doctor on duty 20 minutes later.
Adzli added that the forensic police team which inspected the fire extinguisher found that there was a cut on the device and further investigation at the scene did not find any criminal element.
He said the case had been classified as sudden death and a post-mortem examination would be carried out at the Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital in Alor Setar on Monday (Nov 23). – Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?
81% readers found this article insightful