EMCO for dorm in Klang


PUTRAJAYA: A workers’ dormitory in Klang, Selangor, is now under enhanced movement control order (MCO) after 215 Covid-19 cases were reported there.

The 14-day enhanced MCO, starting today, ends on Nov 30.

Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the company, Top Glove Corporation Bhd, would conduct screening on all of its factory workers and on hostels supplying workers to the factory.

“The factory will remain open for now,” he said, adding that the management had also been asked to sanitise the premises.

Areas affected are the male workers’ dormitory and Jalan Abidi 1A/KU8, the female workers’ dormitory as well as Jalan Abadi 1A and Jalan Abadi 10/KU8.

The lockdown involves 13,190 workers and close to 1,200 residents.

In a statement, Top Glove said it had cooperated with the Klang district health office and the Klang district police headquarters.

“We will continue to work closely with the relevant authorities to ensure the safety and well-being of our employees to flatten the curve and contain the situation.

“Meanwhile, we will continue to adhere to the standard operating procedure (SOP).

“Disinfection exercises at our premises and accommodation are also conducted regularly, with all the necessary precautionary measures strictly in place,” it said.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri also said the government was looking into getting all foreign workers to undergo mandatory screening.

The Human Resources Ministry had been asked to come up with detailed proposals on how this could be done, he said.

Citing statistics from the ministry, Ismail Sabri said there were currently 1.7 million foreign workers in Malaysia.

“There are many aspects that need to be looked into if we want all foreign workers to be screened, including the issue of cost.

“Also, we need to find out if our laboratories are able to cope with the high number of samples to be tested,” he said.

He said that about one million foreign workers were contributing to the Social Security Organisation and that this could be used to partly subsidise the screening cost.

“But we need to determine who will bear the remaining cost and if they are not contributors, who will fork out the fees,” he said.

Ismail Sabri said the ministry was also asked to see how the movement of foreign workers could be controlled.

“We can impose a lockdown on the hostels where they live, but we also have to bear in mind there are those living in rented houses. All these need to be ironed out,” he said.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

90% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Covid-19: No infections in the community from Teratai cluster, says Health DG
Dr M: Pejuang MPs will not support Budget 2021
Top Glove is biggest contributor of cases in a single day, says Ismail Sabri
Disciplinary action taken against 6,000 cops for various misconducts since 2016, says Bukit Aman
Ismail Sabri: Mandatory screening required for all 1.7 million foreign workers in Malaysia
Ismail Sabri: Enhanced MCO to be enforced in two areas in Kulim and Tuaran on Friday (Nov 27)
QS Rankings: UM in Asia's top 10, other universities did well too
Penang govt still waiting for lab test results on oil spill incident at Paramount fishing area
Covid-19: Five new clusters, four new deaths
Covid-19: 970 new cases, four fatalities

Stories You'll Enjoy