PETALING JAYA: All four water treatment plants – Sungai Selangor Phase 1,2, 3 and Rantau Panjang - have resumed operations, with the water supply expected to be fully restored by Friday (Nov 13), says Air Selangor.
Its chief executive Suhaimi Kamaralzaman said the water treatment plants have resumed operations at 2.40am Wednesday (Nov 11), with the water supply distributed earlier than planned at 1.45pm.
“The recovery plan is divided into two groups. The first group, consisting of 599 areas, is expected to be fully recovered by 3pm on Nov 12.
“The second group, consisting of 680 areas, will be fully recovered by 3pm on Nov 13, ” he said in a statement on Wednesday.
He stressed that the water supplied to consumers has undergone a quality test and complied with standards by the Health Ministry, and verified to be odourless by the National Water Service Commission (SPAN).
The water treatment plants were allowed to resume operations after recording a zero TON (threshold odour number) three times in a row.
Suhaimi said Air Selangor will continue to mobilise 111 water tankers to critical premises such as hospitals, dialysis centres and residential areas.
Alternative water supply, he added, is also available through 14 public water taps and 17 service centres to help affected consumers get water supply.
He said Air Selangor is also disappointed with the frequent pollution incidents and that it is fully supportive of efforts by the authorities to tackle environmental crimes.
“We believe the relevant authorities have done their duty to solve this issue. We remain committed in ensuring our consumers receive their water supply according to the schedule we have provided, ” he said.
He added that they, along with Bukit Gasing assemblyman Rajiv Rishyakaran, distributed five litres of drinking water bottles to residents earlier Wednesday.
Meanwhile, Indah Water Konsortium (IWK) has denied claims that the company was responsible for the odour pollution which led to the closure of the four water treatment plants.
Its chief executive Narendran Maniam said that its sewage treatment plant (STP) was in fact affected by illegal waste discharged by irresponsible parties.
He added that the release of the final effluent had been stopped since Nov 4, after IWK detected some elements of illegal waste that was dumped into the sewage system.
“The STP affected had to contain the flow for the past few days to avoid spillage into the waterways.
“If this was not executed promptly, the illegal element that came into our plant would have created further detriment to the environment.
“When we stopped releasing the effluent last week, our team immediately informed all relevant authorities about the illegal element which came into our plant, ” he said in a statement on Tuesday (Nov 10).
Selangor environment, green technology, science, technology and innovation and consumer affairs committee chairman Hee Loy Sian had earlier said that the odour pollution at Sungai Selangor was caused by illegal dumping of effluent into an IWK manhole.
He also suspected that the pollution was an act of sabotage by irresponsible parties.
The unscheduled water cut affected more than one million households covering 1,279 areas in Kuala Lumpur, Petaling, Klang, Shah Alam, Kuala Selangor, Hulu Selangor, Gombak and Kuala Langat.
Did you find this article insightful?
46% readers found this article insightful