PETALING JAYA: Two company directors are expected to be charged on Tuesday (Nov 3) in connection with the odour pollution in Sungai Gong that resulted in water cuts in the Klang Valley.
Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Fadzil Ahmat said the two men aged 61 and 31 are set to be charged at Selayang Sessions Court on Tuesday morning.
"We referred the case to the Attorney General's Chambers on Monday (Nov 2). It has decided the duo will be charged under Section 430 of the Penal Code for allegedly causing mischief," he said when contacted on Monday.
The company directors will also be charged under Section 25(3) of the Quality of Environment Act 1974, he added.
"Six workers, two locals and four foreigners, who were previously detained, will be the prosecution witnesses," he said.
SAC Fadzil said five water contamination cases are being investigated.
"This is the second case prosecuted since the Selangor CID took over investigations in September.
We will ensure that investigations are conducted thoroughly and the culprits prosecuted," he added.
It was reported on Oct 19 that Phase 1,2 and 3 of the Sungai Selangor Water Treatment Plants (LRA) and Rantau Panjang LRA were suspended due to pollution of raw water resources at 2am.
Preliminary investigation found that solvent was the cause of the odour pollution and that the smell of solvent was similar to the earlier incident in early September which was still under investigation.
The water cuts affected 1,196,457 Air Selangor account holders in 1,292 areas in Klang Valley.
Did you find this article insightful?