Covid-19: 27 of 35 clusters in Sabah involved immigrants, says Masidi


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah Local Government and Housing Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun (pic) on Thursday (Oct 22) revealed that 27 Covid-19 clusters out of the 35 in Sabah involved immigrants.

He said this in response to a question by a reporter on how many clusters in Sabah involved non-Malaysian citizens during a virtual press conference on the Covid-19 situation in Sabah.

“Based on our records, this would be 27 clusters from the 35 at present.

“On how many positive cases at present involving non-Malaysians, including illegals, the figure stands at 13.3% or 1,236 cases,” he said on Thursday (Oct 22).

Masidi, who oversees the pandemic situation in the state, said eight squatter colonies had been identified as places where Covid-19 occurred.

“Based on the Health Ministry records, there are five in Semporna, namely Kampung Bangau-Bangau, Kg Selamat, Kg Panji, Kg Bakau and Kg Air.

“For Kota Kinabalu, we have Telipok settlement, Pulau Gaya and Kampung Numbak,” he added.

On how the Benteng Lahad Datu cluster was able to spread from the east coast to the west coast of Sabah, Masidi said that based on observation, the cases occurred due to the movement of people before the travel restriction was imposed on Oct 16.

“It was probably during the time people went back and forth between the east coast and Kota Kinabalu to go to vote during the recent state elections. But we are still investigating,” he added.

Meanwhile, he said 156 new cases from the 578 identified in Sabah on Thursday came from the Kepayan Prison cluster.

“Those who tested positive today were 145 inmates, eight Prison Department staff members in Kota Kinabalu and one in Papar, one former inmate in Sipitang and one close contact of staff,” he added.

He also said efforts to clear the test results backlog of old cases were being expedited, where there are 6,653 backlog cases remaining.

“Once completed, we expected to get more realistic figures and accurate reflection of the situation in Sabah,” he said.

On another development, Masidi said 198 road blocks at 66 locations have been conducted during the conditional movement control order (MCO) currently ongoing in Sabah.

“Some 52,996 vehicles were inspected and 304 have been ordered to turn back,” he added.

Meanwhile, on the case of a Covid-19 patient who fell to her death from a hospital in the state capital, Masidi said they were not able to give further information as the case was still under police investigation.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

56% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Shot fired at GOF personnel near Bukit Kayu Hitam
Injured GOF cop transferred to Penang Hospital for another operation
Transport Ministry: Application for foreign vessels to operate here only takes five days
Police to launch anti-corruption plan Thursday (Nov 26)
Covid-19: High temperatures during production prevent possible contamination, says Top Glove
Orange-level weather alert for Peninsular Malaysia states
Covid-19: No infections in the community from Teratai cluster, says Health DG
Dr M: Pejuang MPs will not support Budget 2021
Top Glove is biggest contributor of cases in a single day, says Ismail Sabri
Disciplinary action taken against 6,000 cops for various misconducts since 2016, says Bukit Aman

Stories You'll Enjoy