AGC decides no further action against Khairuddin


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Dr Mohd Khairuddin Aman Razali will not face any action for not undergoing home quarantine after returning from abroad in July because the Health Ministry had not issued such an order.

Federal CID director Comm Datuk Huzir Mohamed said the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) had decided “No Further Action” (NFA) against the Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister.

“We have been instructed to inform the outcome of the case.

“The instruction is NFA as the minister was not handed the 14B form to undergo home quarantine, ” he said yesterday.

Asked if that means the Health Ministry did not give the minister the form for home quarantine, Comm Huzir replied “Yes.”

He also said the decision was made as no “concrete statement” was given that could be used to charge the minister.

Khairuddin’s violation of the mandatory 14-day quarantine came to light when it was raised in the Dewan Rakyat on Aug 18 by Seputeh MP Teresa Kok.

The Health Ministry subsequently said it had slapped Khairuddin with a RM1,000 fine for breaching the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1998 (Act 342) on Aug 7.

Attorney General Tan Sri Idrus Harun, in his media release, said the Chambers found no home surveillance or observation order was issued by the authorised officer to the minister for him to observe the home surveillance as stipulated under subsection 15(1) of Act 342 as alleged by the complainant.

“Form 14b as prescribed in the guidelines by the Health Ministry, which contained an order for home surveillance and or observation order under subsection 15(1) of Act 342, was not issued to the minister when he was allowed to leave.

“For an act to be considered an offence of breaking a home quarantine order under Act 342, the home surveillance or observation order is required to be issued to the minister under subsection 15(1) of Act 342.

“Accordingly, based on the above consideration, the AGC has decided not to prefer any charge against the minister due to insufficient evidence and thus fails to meet the required burden of proof under the law, ” he said.

Idrus also confirmed that an investigation by the police into a complaint made against Khairuddin had been carried out and completed.

“Our perusal of the investigation paper submitted by the police reveals that the minister visited Turkey on July 3 and flew back on July 7.

“Upon arrival at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, the minister underwent health inspection and screening process for Covid-19 (swab test) and the result was found to be negative.

“The minister was allowed to return to his residence by the authorised officer from the Health Ministry who was appointed under Section 3 of Act 342, ” he said.

Idrus added that the minister subsequently underwent a second health screening on July 10 at Hospital Kuala Lumpur for the purpose of attending a ceremony at Istana Negara on Aug 17 and the result was also found to be negative.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

27% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Shot fired at GOF personnel near Bukit Kayu Hitam
Injured GOF cop transferred to Penang Hospital for another operation
Transport Ministry: Application for foreign vessels to operate here only takes five days
Police to launch anti-corruption plan Thursday (Nov 26)
Covid-19: High temperatures during production prevent possible contamination, says Top Glove
Orange-level weather alert for Peninsular Malaysia states
Covid-19: No infections in the community from Teratai cluster, says Health DG
Dr M: Pejuang MPs will not support Budget 2021
Top Glove is biggest contributor of cases in a single day, says Ismail Sabri
Disciplinary action taken against 6,000 cops for various misconducts since 2016, says Bukit Aman

Stories You'll Enjoy