KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Cabinet has decided to put state Community Development and People's Well-being Minister Shahelmey Yahya in charge of health related matters, except for Covid-19, says Datuk Masidi Manjun.
The Sabah Local Government and Housing Minister, who is tasked to look after Covid-19 matters in Sabah, said this was agreed on during the state Cabinet meeting last week.
"We prefer to be practical.
"So, we do not have a state Health Minister, but all health matters will now be under Shahelmey," he told reporters at a press conference on Sunday (Oct 18).
Masidi made the announcement amid criticism of the state Health Ministry portfolio being dropped from the Sabah Cabinet line-up.
"Just because we do not have the ministry does not mean we do not attend to these matters. So, now is the time to end this," said Masidi.
Asked about the distribution of food aid said to be “preferential” now compared with Warisan Plus’ time during movement restrictions, Shahelmey, who was present and in charge of the “food basket” programme, said these were two different situations.
"During the first occurrence of the full movement control order (MCO), no businesses were allowed to open for three months from March until June.
"But now, during the conditional MCO, the rules are relaxed for businesses and those affected are in smaller batches.
"That is why we focused on targeted enhanced MCO zones and families quarantined under conditional MCO," added Shahelmey.