LABUAN (Bernama): A hypermarket and two supermarkets here have been ordered to close temporarily after a customer who tested positive for COVID-19 patronised the premises recently.
Labuan Health director Dr Ismuni Bohari said the three-day closure notice issued Saturday (Oct 17) morning was to facilitate sanitisation works.
"We must be strict to ensure full compliance relating to sanitisation... the people’s well-being and safety must not be jeopardised by the recent spike in Covid-19 cases on the island, ” he told Bernama Saturday.
He said those who have shopped in these premises in the last couple of days and showed Covid-19-related symptoms should immediately undergo tests at the Membedai Health Clinic.
"Those who wish to undergo the tests can do so, but if they have no symptoms, it will not be necessary, ” he added.
The staff at the three premises who are more vulnerable to the infections like those at the counters have been ordered to undergo tests and home-quarantine.
Labuan had been placed under a two-week conditional movement control order (MCO) beginning Saturday until Oct 30, along with two other federal territories, namely Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya (from Oct 14).
Labuan, Malaysia’s international business and financial centre and oil and gas hub has been recording daily increase in cases over the last one week, bringing the tally to 111 cases as of Friday (Oct 16).
The duty-free-island is facing three active clusters - Saguking with five cases, Bah Bangat and Bah Bundle clusters with 11 and nine cases, respectively.
"We are on the lookout for individuals who are Covid-19 positive but have not undergone screening, it is a difficult task, but it must be accomplished, ” said Dr Ismuni.
Meanwhile, two secondary schools and a primary school here closed last week after three students and a pupil tested positive. - Bernama
Did you find this article insightful?
80% readers found this article insightful