KOTA KINABALU: Food baskets worth RM2mil each will be given as immediate relief to people in the 10 red zones in Sabah.
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Mohd Noor (pic) said the RM20mil allocation for food baskets would be given to all identified red zones — Kota Kinabalu, Penampang, Putatan, Sandakan, Tuaran, Papar, Tawau, Semporna, Lahad Datu and Kunak.
The money would be channelled via the respective district disaster management centres, said Hajiji in a statement on Saturday (Oct 10).
The Chief Minister who is currently admitted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Covid-19 said that various agencies, including the State Welfare Department, would be tasked with distributing the aid.
Meanwhile, Sabah would also prohibit barter trade with the southern Philippines and Indonesia from Oct 12 as part of efforts to check the spread of Covid-19.
He said the measures were being taken as there had been a three-digit increase in positive cases across Sabah since Oct 1. As of Oct 9, Sabah recorded 1,728 cases.
The state's Covid-19 Disaster Management Committee has also extended the enhanced movement control order (MCO) imposed on Tawau prison and the prison quarters in Taman Ehsan in the Tawau district.
Hajiji said enhanced MCO had also been imposed in several hotspots that included villages in Semporna, like Kampung Pinggir Bakau, Kampung Simunul, Kampung Bangau-Bangau, Kampung Panji, Kampung Air and Kampung Selamat, as well as in Kunak district's Kampung Pangkalan, Kampung Bagiang, and Kampung Kunak 3.
Late on Friday night, Hajiji's public relations officer Effendi Mohd Sunoh said Hajiji had been admitted to the hospital after testing positive.
Effendi said Hajiji is in a good condition.
Did you find this article insightful?
89% readers found this article insightful